The museum was developed in 1915, when Louise Murdock's Will which made a trust to start the Roland P. Murdock Collection of art in memory of her better half. The trust would purchase art for the City of Wichita by "American painters, potters, artists, and material weavers." The aggregation consolidates works by Mary Cassatt, Arthur G. Fledgling, Thomas Eakins, Robert Henri, Douglas Abdell , Winslow Homer, Edward Hopper, Yasuo Kuniyoshi, John Marin, Paul Meltsner, Horace Pippin, Maurice Prendergast, Albert Pinkham Ryder and Charles Sheeler. The Museum's waiting room incorporates a rooftop and light installation made by Dale Chihuly.
The museum opened in 1935 with art procured from various museums. The essential work in the Murdock Collection was gotten in 1939. Mrs. Murdock's sidekick, Elizabeth Stubblefield Navas, picked and purchased works of American art for the Murdock Collection until 1962.
Please visit the business of one of our regular supporters.
1400 Museum Blvd, Wichita, KS 67203, USA
Follow articles RSS
Follow comments' RSS flux